Question:

From Arizona, USA:

I need help understanding a diabetic-related yeast infection that came out on my 14-year-old daughter's skin. The doctor (not an endocrinologist) first treated it with antibiotic, thinking it was acne, but when it got worse he said being a diabetic (and usually too high) indicates yeast. Why would a yeast infection show on the skin and what does that mean is going on inside her body? Also, could you comment on the pH balance, which they checked.

Answer:

Any time that the body surface is frequently moist, a high blood glucose makes this a good nutrient medium and there is a vulnerability to yeast infections. This is why vaginal yeast infections in poorly controlled diabetic girls are common.

Fortunately this is a problem that is easy to control. In your daughter's case I suspect that the physician reasoned that she was in some degree of acute acidosis from poor control and this is why he did a pH test. A high A1c would only indicate a degree of chronic poor control.