From Arizona, USA:

I need help understanding a diabetic-related yeast infection that came out on my 14-year-old daughter's skin. The doctor (not an endocrinologist) first treated it with antibiotic, thinking it was acne, but when it got worse he said being a diabetic (and usually too high) indicates yeast. Why would a yeast infection show on the skin and what does that mean is going on inside her body? Also, could you comment on the pH balance, which they checked.

Any time that the body surface is frequently moist, a high blood glucose makes this a good nutrient medium and there is a vulnerability to yeast infections. This is why vaginal yeast infections in poorly controlled diabetic girls are common.

Fortunately this is a problem that is easy to control. In your daughter's case I suspect that the physician reasoned that she was in some degree of acute acidosis from poor control and this is why he did a pH test. A high A1c would only indicate a degree of chronic poor control.