From Scotland:

My 4.5 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes almost one year ago. At present he is taking mix 20 insulin (20 units) and is experiencing very erratic readings, ranging from 1.8 to 27 mmol. Can you explain what may be causing this and what would you advise to rectify this situation as this is neither pleasant for my son or us?

Although young children with diabetes may have quite variable blood glucose readings, I would recommend that you meet with a diabetes team to help you. A question such as this is not one that can be answered by e-mail. Read as much as you can, for example at this website, and I would also recommend reading Understanding Insulin-Dependent Diabetes by H. Peter Chase, M.D.

Work with your diabetes care provider to learn to adjust the insulin to your child's individual requirements.