From the Ukraine:

Is there a difference in caloric value between dextrose and glucose? The glossary says that dextrose is a D-glucose, the equilibrium mixture of D-glucose. I have seen the dextrose tablets for diabetic use. I have heard that dextrose for diabetics is harmful. Is there some norm for dextrose use by diabetics?

The kcalorie value for glucose and dextrose is 4 kcalories per gram for each. The notion that dextrose is "bad" for someone with diabetes has been dispelled in recent years by acknowledging that sugars are carbohydrate and carbohydrates fuel the body by breaking them down to glucose. The body does not care from which source they come. What is important however is that a consistant amount of carbohydrates are eaten for meals and snacks from day to day. This helps one adjust the insulin to the amounts of carbohydrate eaten to help stabilize blood sugar.