Question:

From Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

Having used Beef/Pork Iletin for 23 years (I am now 53), I am concerned about the mandatory switchover to human insulin. Are the activities of the two forms the same?

Answer:

The activities are quite similar. Sometime human insulins can have shorter activity times and then you should adjust doses accordingly on the basis of more frequent self-monitoring over the transition period.

[Editor's comment: The Compassionate Use Project seeks to convince Eli Lilly to continue production of animal source insulin and to import Beef/Pork insulin into the United States. Also, see the October 1998 issue of Diabetes Interview for more information. JSH]