From Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

Having used Beef/Pork Iletin for 23 years (I am now 53), I am concerned about the mandatory switchover to human insulin. Are the activities of the two forms the same?

The activities are quite similar. Sometime human insulins can have shorter activity times and then you should adjust doses accordingly on the basis of more frequent self-monitoring over the transition period.

[Editor's comment: The Compassionate Use Project seeks to convince Eli Lilly to continue production of animal source insulin and to import Beef/Pork insulin into the United States. Also, see the October 1998 issue of Diabetes Interview for more information. JSH]