Question:

From Fulton, Missouri, USA:

Would it be wise for the school nurse to have a "glucagon shot" syringe at school in case my 17 year old daughter should need it? (We have one at home that we keep with us.) Also, is there a place we can order supplies at a lower cost? We can barely afford the supplies required. She is on 2 insulin shots per day and 5 "finger sticks" per day as well as 2 urine tests.

Answer:

I think it is a very good idea to keep a Glucagon Emergency Kit at school, especially if your school is in a rural setting where EMS response time could be delayed. Generally most teenagers can recognize a low blood sugar and treat it quickly, but if your daughter is experiencing lows that catch her by surprise or is having very frequent lows that are leaving her depleted, the glucagon would be extremely important to have on hand. I might mention that if your daughter is needing glucagon often, consulting with your diabetes team is important too!

Make sure that your school nurse knows how to use the glucagon and that she has a backup person available (within the guidelines of your state's nurse practice act) if she is not in the school building full time. Because glucagon is expensive and has an expiration date, ask your pharmacist to order the latest expiration date possible and rotate your school dose with your home dose.

Regarding your question on resources for supplies, I would check with your diabetes educator, your physician or his/her nurse, your local ADA chapter, or perhaps the people who run diabetes camps in your area. Any of these people should be able to help you access resources in your region.

LW

[Editor's comment: You could probably eliminate the two daily urine tests, unless your daughter's blood sugar was high (over 240 mg/dl) or she was ill. Ask your diabetes team. Regarding the cost of supplies, mail order pharmacies often have the lowest prices. Also, be sure to write to your elected officials and urge them to work for better national health insurance programs for people with diabetes. JSH]

Posted to Daily Care and Social Issues: Insurance/Costs