From Denver, COlorado, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 26 years. I am now 38 years old, with no complications. During several low blood sugar episodes since diagnosis I have experienced "fuzzy" or no memory of what occurred during that time. This is far beyond the "confusion" state. It is as if I have blacked out, but to those around me I am conscious. Is this unusual or merely a normal symptom of hypolgycemia?

In my experience it isn't so unusual at all and actually it has become more and more usual as more patients are following multiple insulin regimens aimed at tighter control of blood sugar levels. This particular phenomenon is called hypoglycemic unawareness and you can read a lot about it at this website. Moreover, after many years of diabetes, you may lose the glucagon as well as adrenaline countersecretion to impending low blood sugar and this can further lead to a variety of "neuroglycopenic" symptoms. A short period of "relaxed" blood sugar control generally is able to ameliorate these symptoms.