From San Ramon, California, USA:

I am a personal trainer. Specifically, one of my clients is a 40 year old mother of two. During the course of her last pregnancy, she had to take insulin. Once the child was born, she no longer needed to take insulin. Her doctor told her to "exercise and watch her diet." Her family has a history of diet controlled and insulin controlled diabetes after age 50. What is the best diet to prescribe for someone who has diabetes and is prone to it? I'm told that pastas, rices and legumes are bad. Do you have any suggestions?

We do not really know if any special diet can help prevent diabetes, but it seems unlikely. However, as long as she can keep her weight within normal range, that is probably of the utmost importance. We usually suggest a balanced diet of a variety of foods, using the Food Guide Pyramid approach (smaller amounts of meats and fats and more generous amounts of vegetables, fruits and starches). Consuming pasta and other starches should be fine unless she has elevated triglycerides. Keep in mind we are looking at getting to normal or near normal weight as an important goal.