Question:

From Carlsbad,California, USA:

My 6 year old son just had an intravenous glucose tolerence test performed today. Can you give me the guidelines for the normal ranges for glucose, insulin and C-peptide for the 1,3,5,7 and 10 minute timepoints?

Answer:

As a first step, I think that you need to get the actual figures from the test. Each laboratory is required to report with the result the range of what they consider to be normal. The actual interpretation is the responsibility of your son's doctor.

In this Center we only use the IVGTT in young children to assess the degree of impairment of insulin production where the antibody test is known to be positive. Different centers use different criteria; but for what it is worth we only use the 3 minute and 5 minute insulin levels and add them together. The 5%ile level for normal limits is 67 micro units/ml and the 3% is 45 micro units/ml. A level above the 5%ile indicates a 95% confidence that the result is normal. We do not measure C-peptide levels in this test because the children are not yet on insulin therapy.