From Texas, USA:

What is the latest in research in alternative treatment for diabetes?

I find this a difficult question to answer fairly because I am a very convinced believer that the role of alternative therapies in diabetes is quite limited. For a general review of this aproach I think it would help you to read the September 17th 1998 issue of the New England Journal of Medecine whch contains a very good editorial on this theme as well as a number of relevant articles.

Alternative remedies so often derive from underpriveleged parts of the world where conventional westen remedies are not available and understandably formal studies have not been done.

Nonetheless alternative medicine remedies are usually harmless and may have definite value in restoring the feeling of lost control that is often a part of submitting to the complex disciplines of modern care.

There is at least one trial in progress in the on the value of a combination of many such remedies. A negative result will dismiss many of them; but a significant benefit would set the task of finding the effective one.

Finally you might like to search PubMed for more information.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations