From Pennsylvania, USA:

My 4-year-old daughter has type 1 diabetes. She was diagnosed at the age of 2 1/2. I been recently seeing a chiropracter who said he might be able to cure her diabetes with therapy. He said that nerves to pancreas could be pinched. He said I should get her help now before her pancreas stops working all together. I want to know if you think this could be possible or if I'm wasting her time?

To my mind, the chiropracter's advice constitutes gross malpractice and you should have nothing to with it and in no way allow your daughter's treatment to be deflected from conventional therapy with insulin and diet.

At the same time I do realise that current day conventiomal therapy makes enormous demands on a family and sometimes the feeling of having lost control of something as important as caring for diabetes leads to the use of a variety of forms of alternative medicine. In some cases using an innocuous form of alternative medicine is helpful because it may give the caregiver a sense of some restored personal control. You must discuss this though with your daughter's doctor because there have been some reports of alternative medicine remedies being harmful and at the present they are rather loosely controlled by the Food and Drug Administration.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations