From New York, USA:

My son was very recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. He is 18 and has always been a great athlete. He will be going to college in Baltimore in the fall. He is going to try out for the soccer team in August. Diabetes is something we never had to think about, and now that he is on insulin I am worried that he will feel discouraged. Are there any articles or books written about athletes with diabetes who excelled in their sport? I want to help him realize that he can live with this, and I hope that he may serve as inspiration to others.

Today, a number of professional athletes successfully manage their diabetes. The athletes listed below maintain that self-monitoring of blood glucose is essential, that teammates and coaches are supportive and that diabetes does not need to adversely affect their profession. These athletes serve as extraordinary role models and they are and example of the success to which an athlete with diabetes can aspire.

You can go to the library to find the articles below. The periodical section in your library should have these articles if you request them.

1. Bobby Clarke - Hockey player for the Philadelphia Flyers
    Dawson LY: "Skating at the cutting edge: Bobby Clarke." Diabetes Forecast, March 1994, p. 16-19.
    Weiner D: "Bobby Clarke: No excuses." Living Well With Diabetes, Fall 1987, p.3-4.

2. Chris Dudley - Basketball player. Center for the Portland Trail Blazers
    Wakelee-Lynch J: "The man in the middle." Diabetes Forecast, November 1994, p. 15-19.

3. Curt Fraser - Hockey player for the Vancouver Canucks
    Ortlieb B: "Making a power play against diabetes." Diabetes Forecast, December 1987, p. 22-25.

4. Jonathan Hayes - Football player. Former tight end for the Kansas City Chiefs and Pittsburgh Steelers.
    Radak JT: "Staying in focus." Diabetes Forecast, February 1990, p. 30-37.
    Walsh P: "Hail to the chief... and author, and rancher: these are the days of Jonathan Hayes." Diabetes Forecast, May 1994,p. 65-68.
    One book I'm aware of is by Jonathan Hayes, tight end for the KC Chiefs and later for Pittsburg. It's called "Necessary Toughness: Facing Defenses and Diabetes."

5. Jim "Catfish" Hunter - Baseball player for the New York Yankees

6. Bill Talbert - Tennis player rated the number two player at Wimbledon and number one player in men's doubles and mixed doubles.
    Wakelee-Lynch J: "A full life of service." Diabetes Forecast, August 1991, p.22-26.

7. Wade Wilson - Football player for the Minnesota Vikings
    Mazur M: "Calling the play against diabetes." Diabetes Forecast, November 1988, p. 33-35.

Posted to Exercise and Sports