Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Jan 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | May 15 | Apr 15 | Mar 15 | Feb 15 | Jan 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. My daughter has been diagnosed with type 1 for almost 10 months. Is there anything that could possibly be done to help prolong the honeymoon stage or regenerate her pancreas? (30 Jan 1999)

2. We are having a problem with students coming to the nurse's office to check blood sugars and take insulin if needed. (30 Jan 1999)

3. In our current school in Virginia, the school board strictly prohibits the administration of glucagon by anyone other than an RN or MD. Since most of the schools do not have RN's, the protocol is to call 911. (30 Jan 1999)

4. My son is 6.5 years old and was diagnosed with type 1 about two months ago. About 4 weeks ago, he developed painful welts on the bottoms, sides, of his feet and toes. (30 Jan 1999)

5. My son is 11 and has been diabetic for six years. Recently he has developed pains in his lower legs, sometimes "charlie horse" type pains in the very early morning and other times the pain lasts for hours and I can feel that his calves are stiff. (30 Jan 1999)

6. Is it safe to use artificial sweeteners such as aspartame? (30 Jan 1999)

7. My 4 year old son was diagnosed about 5 months ago. I want to check my 1 year old daughter's blood sugar once a month for peace of mind. What is the best time of day to do so? (28 Jan 1999)

8. How many children with diabetes are diagnosed before age 3? What percent of children with diabetes are autistic? (28 Jan 1999)

9. Is there an efficient glucometer for using it during a very cold temperature (less than -5 degrees)? (28 Jan 1999)

10. Have you heard of the "noni plant" from the Polynesian Islands? I heard that it could control blood sugar and protect the immune system. (28 Jan 1999)

11. I hear that now there is insulin, that you can drink. Is that true? Is this only for Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus? (28 Jan 1999)

12. I have a six year old son that the doctors think he has diabetes. They told me to go and see a endocrinologist but right now since I have no insurance or Medicaid, I am not able to go. (25 Jan 1999)

13. My wife has Type 2 diabetes. She is 33 years old and overweight. If she loses the weight, what are the chances of being undiagnosed? (25 Jan 1999)

14. Is my diabetes interfering with puberty or am I just a freak? (25 Jan 1999)

15. Six days ago my 2 year old nephew began running an extremely high blood sugar count (700). He was rushed to the hospital and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The levels have dropped since the onset. Is there any other disease, infectious or otherwise, that could be causing the rise in blood sugar levels? (25 Jan 1999)

16. Do children naturally have higher blood glucose levels than adults? (25 Jan 1999)

17. The medication I take always comes with a "low dose alert" notice from the pharmacy and seems not so effective in keeping blood sugar low since I started taking estrogen. Should I push the doctor to change medications? (24 Jan 1999)

18. I have a 16 year old son who has sugar in his urine when tested less than an hour after dinner. The doctor took a blood sample for a hemoglobin A1c test. The result of the A1c test was 0.084 and because of this, my son has diabetes. (24 Jan 1999)

19. I'm a 44 year old man who has had diabetes for ten years. Last week, my endocrinologist put me on insulin. He also prescribed glucagon should I become unconscious. What site would you recommend for glucagon injection? (24 Jan 1999)

20. My 11 year old has had diabetes for 4 years, for the last year, every 2-3 months she becomes sick, acidotic, with very high blood sugars. (24 Jan 1999)

21. When they tell you that you have diabetic neuropathy, does that mean you have diabetes? (24 Jan 1999)

22. Do you have any information about HbA1c Values of nondiabetics? One week ago I was in Denver (coming from Germany) and I had a lot of problems getting my blood sugar down less than 160, which is not normal for me. (24 Jan 1999)

23. My son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes several months ago. He is 9 years old and has been doing good with his blood sugars. Is there a good source of information for meal planning and snack planning? (24 Jan 1999)

24. I need the American Diabetes diet, the food plan. I have contacted them several times without a answer. Please, I need the eating program. (24 Jan 1999)

25. This past summer, my 17 year old son completed a 6 month course of Accutane. Today we found out that his fasting blood sugar is 265. Could there possibly be any connection between the Accutane and the elevated blood sugar? (24 Jan 1999)

26. I recently found ants in the soiled diaper of my 1 month old son which I had left standing for a while. Could this indicate diabetes? (24 Jan 1999)

27. In a previous question, you discussed vitamin E reducing the sensitivity to insulin. I would like more information as I have been megadosing on vitamin E and have been increasing my insulin dosage to maintain acceptable levels. (24 Jan 1999)

28. I have a 14-year-old daughter, diagnosed two years ago. Her endo wants to switch her to ultralente, covering all meals and snacks with humalog. I am concerned about ultralente "peaking" and causing her to go low in the middle of the night. (21 Jan 1999)

29. My son has recently been to the hospital because he woke in the middle of the night with stomache pains and he wouldn't stop crying. His blood test showed a glucose level of 145 and his urine had no glucose but did show ketones. (21 Jan 1999)

30. We have healthy 4 year old identical twin sons. The doctor says they have renal glycosuria. If they have this disorder, why don't they spill sugar all the time? (21 Jan 1999)

31. A friend of ours has an eleven year old boy with diabetes. His blood sugar often goes unmonitored, and he has been demonstrating strange, sometimes criminal behavior. (21 Jan 1999)

32. My 11 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at age six. She has done wonderfully with her diabetes management. We have had a persistent problem with bedwetting due to higher than normal blood sugars at night for some time. (21 Jan 1999)

33. My daughter was recently diagnosed. My daughter is 8 years old. I also have a son who is 5. Neither my wife or I are diabetic. What are the chances of my son developing the disease? (21 Jan 1999)

34. I'm a 16 year old girl, and for the last year I have been suffering from dizziness, headaches, cravings for sugar and blackouts. I've gone to my doctor who has taken some blood tests and he has told me that I have Low Blood Sugar and Low Blood Pressure. Is there a name for what I have? (21 Jan 1999)

35. I have a 16 year old son with type 1 diabetes. He also has Down's Syndrome. Do you have any experience of Down's Syndrome people using an insulin pen? (21 Jan 1999)

36. The recent edition of Consumer Reports notes that taking echinacea could "theoretically" be problematic for type 1 diabetics because of its effect on the immune system. Do you know what the "theoretical" problem is they refer to? (20 Jan 1999)

37. My 6 year old daughter has sugar in her urine (250). What can this possibly mean? (20 Jan 1999)

38. My son will be going back to the Children's Hospital soon for another round of chemo. I need to talk with other parents with children that have cancer to see how they deal with meals and insulin! (20 Jan 1999)

39. I am being treated with Glucophage and I was wondering if taking that has anything to do with my bloodwork results. My doctor told me that I tested positive for protein in my urine. (20 Jan 1999)

40. My 3 year old son needs to have surgery using general anesthesia. What are the special precautions we can ask for in surgery to keep his blood sugars level? (19 Jan 1999)

41. Does diabetes have any effect on menstrual periods for a young adult? (19 Jan 1999)

42. Have you heard anything about the new SmithKline Beecham drug, Avandia (rosiglitazone maleate)? They recently submitted it for FDA approval. (19 Jan 1999)

43. Recently, I have been reading articles about aspartame which are not favorable. What are our alternatives? (19 Jan 1999)

44. My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed three years ago. For about the past six months she has lost all interest in monitoring her blood sugar levels. She has become a risk taker of great proportion. (19 Jan 1999)

45. Is it possible for someone to have Type 1 diabetes to not have to take insulin and control their blood sugar purely by diet and exercise? (17 Jan 1999)

46. I do a lot of baking of cookies for diabetics and have come across some recipes using "brown sugar substitute." Could you tell me where I could find this? (17 Jan 1999)

47. I have heard that a recent medical breakthrough is the ability to cultivate "stem cells". Will you please address its relevance to type 1 diabetes? (17 Jan 1999)

48. My partner has Type 1 diabetes. What is the possibility of one or both of my children becoming diabetic in the future, and is there yet anyway I can help prevent it from occurring? (17 Jan 1999)

49. Can diabetics eat sugar substitutes? (17 Jan 1999)

50. What is the ADA recommendation for calories, fat, carbos, and protein for an active 7-year-old boy? My dietitian has much information for adults, but limited for children. (17 Jan 1999)

51. I was told to just look at the carbohydrates not the sugar content because that is suppose to be already included in the carbohydrate. Is this true? (17 Jan 1999)

52. What is the normal dose of insulin for a person with Type 1 Diabetes? (15 Jan 1999)

53. My 2 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. Everything has been overwhelming, but I'm especially having a hard time with his diet. (15 Jan 1999)

54. When someone is on a standing twice-a-day insulin dose and also sliding scale coverage, if the morning blood sugar is high, do you just give the standing dose or both the standing dose and the sliding scale coverage? (15 Jan 1999)

55. I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I am a senior citizen. What is the normal range when monitoring the blood? (15 Jan 1999)

56. I have a son that is going to be 3 years old. Recently he was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My doctor advised me that it could of came from stress. Is that possible? (15 Jan 1999)

57. My wife is 32 years old and 7 months pregnant with our first child (boy). She was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. We were wondering if this will make our child susceptible to obesity later in life? (14 Jan 1999)

58. I am 18 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 13 years. I have recently been diagnosed with "fatty liver disease" and am experiencing major swelling of the abdomen. (14 Jan 1999)

59. We have a child diagnosed with a rare condition called nesidioblastosis. She has already had a partial removal of her pancreas but has not responded as well as she should have. (14 Jan 1999)

60. Is there any truth that Cataplex E can help diabetes? My chiropractor claims that it could be a nerve pinched in the pancreas and wants to give Cataplex E. (11 Jan 1999)

61. I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 9 years. In the last 2 1/2 years I have gained almost 60 pounds and can't lose it. Can you recommend a diet? (11 Jan 1999)

62. I am 12 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. I count carbohydrates. Is counting carbohydrates a good meal plan to stick to? (11 Jan 1999)

63. My 4 year old son was diagnosed one year ago. My neighbor's 8 year old son was diagnosed one year ago -- within a month of the time my son was diagnosed. I would like to get this information to someone who researches the cause or triggers of Type 1 diabetes. (11 Jan 1999)

64. What important role does diabetes play in the environment and how can it affect a descendant of the disease? (11 Jan 1999)

65. I am looking for research data on simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant for a juvenile diabetic with renal failure. (11 Jan 1999)

66. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 13 years and have been told diabetes often "skips generations." Is there any truth to this? (11 Jan 1999)

67. My husband, 46 years old, insulin dependent for 19 years, has extremely itchy skin, especially on his back. I try to put lotion on his back after he showers. Any other ideas that will decrease the itching? (11 Jan 1999)

68. My niece, aged 11, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two days ago. She was immunised against measles at school 6 weeks ago and became ill afterwards, and now has diabetes. Can the two be interconnected? (11 Jan 1999)

69. I am a 40 year old diabetic and have had diabetes for 19 years. All my lab work comes back just fine except for my triglyceride level. How do I lower my triglyceride level? (11 Jan 1999)

70. Why can't an insulin pump be designed to automatically respond to high glucose readings by the short acting insulin? (10 Jan 1999)

71. Is a blood sugar level of 10 mmol/L (180 mg/dl) dangerous? (10 Jan 1999)

72. My daughter is 20 months old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one month ago. She has developed a fear of needles and it has become very difficult to give her insulin injections once she sees the needle. (10 Jan 1999)

73. Would it be alright for diabetics to have an Indian meal that contained no sugar? (10 Jan 1999)

74. Our 8 year old son was recently diagnosed with Type 1. We have been given two different suggestions about how to inject his insulin. Why are there so many different opinions? (10 Jan 1999)

75. Is there any apparatus or mechanism to detect the validity and effectiveness of the used insulin? I have noticed that sometimes the same dose produces varied effect on my glucose level. (10 Jan 1999)

76. My 15 year old daughter was diagnosed with low blood sugar two months ago. My daughter has trouble getting up in the morning: is this due to the low blood sugar and if so, is there something I can do to help her? (10 Jan 1999)

77. My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 3 weeks of age. Her blood sugars have been running in the 200-400 range this past week and she has been running into things. (10 Jan 1999)

78. I am a 13 year old male with type 1 diabetes. My A1c test is always coming back with a level 8 or higher. Do you have any information on what I can do to improve my situation? (10 Jan 1999)

79. My daughter's boyfriend has type 1 diabetes and I need to have more information as to what types of food I should prepare for him. (10 Jan 1999)

80. What happens when your blood sugar gets too low? (8 Jan 1999)

81. My 7 year old daughter was tested yesterday for random blood sugar. The result was 227 mg/dl. What other tests you recommend for her case, and is she going to need insulin injection or tablets as a treatment? (8 Jan 1999)

82. I know that one protein in the diabetic diet can be a 1 oz. or 30 gm. piece of lean beef or chicken or 1 tablespoon of peanut butter. How many grams of protein does that represent? (8 Jan 1999)

83. Does Thalassemia have anything to do with diabetes? (8 Jan 1999)

84. My son is 16 years old. When I tested him with a glucose meter at home one time, his reading was 5.9 in the evening before dinner and 5.6 the following morning before breakfast. Is my son diabetic? (8 Jan 1999)

85. I understand that diabetics with excellent blood sugar control and no nutrition problems typically heal as readily as nondiabetics. Are there studies which substantiate this? (6 Jan 1999)

86. I am 16 years old and my brother has type 1. Two years ago during a routine cholesterol fingerprick at school I was told I have very high cholesterol. Is there a relationship between high cholesterol in someone my age and diabetes? (6 Jan 1999)

87. My son (17, Type 1 for 6 years) had a brief (5-6 second) blackout while driving. He came straight home (10 minutes) and checked his blood sugar. It was 174. He says he did not feel low. (6 Jan 1999)

88. I was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago. Within a few weeks my glucose levels where under control, just by taking oral pills and a diet. However, recent blood tests revealed a level of 14 for GAD-AB. (6 Jan 1999)

89. I am 30 years old and have been a diabetic for almost 25 years. I was well controlled for most of those 25 years but as a busy mom had 6 years of bad control. I suddenly have an overwhelming number of what I call "wake up" signals. (6 Jan 1999)

90. I have a 9 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. Someone told about camps where there are other kids with diabetes but they are too expensive. Are there any scholarships available for her that I could apply for? (6 Jan 1999)

91. I have heard very positive things about the pump. My son is 18 and very athletic. Is this a good thing for him to have? Are the pumps dangerous if you play contact sports, such as soccer? (5 Jan 1999)

92. Does anyone have any information on natural cures for diabetes? (5 Jan 1999)

93. I have been told not to refrigerate insulin because the cold can feel unpleasant to a child. I was also told to never use a bottle of insulin for more than a month. Is this true? (5 Jan 1999)

94. We have a 5 year old girl, diagnosed with type 1 IDDM at age 3. We are having a very difficult time with potty training. (5 Jan 1999)

95. My 3.5 year old nephew takes 0.5 unit per injection. The problem is with the dead space in the syringe. Is there anyway to minimize the sampling error when filling the syringe? (5 Jan 1999)

96. Is there any medical evidence that I can use to show that large amounts of sugar are bad for a 4 year old with a family history of diabetes? (4 Jan 1999)

97. I am a 42 year old type 1 diabetic taking Glucophage at a rate of 2500 mg daily. I was diagnosed approximately 5 years ago. I am also sleep apnea and sleep with a C-pap machine. I have been experiencing night sweats and am wondering what could be causing this. I generally feel good, otherwise. Any thoughts or suggestions? (4 Jan 1999)

98. My 9 year old Pomeranian was diagnosed with diabetes few months ago. He seems to be doing well, but can you tell me what are the long term effects of insulin? What symptoms should I be looking for? (4 Jan 1999)

99. What is the best way for my husband and I to handle our three year old who was just diagnosed last week? When do we begin teaching him about taking responsibility for his health, and what is the best way to approach this with him? (4 Jan 1999)

100. I just bought a meter, and need to use venous whole blood drawn for the tests (my diabetic is a canine). What adjustments do I need to make to interpret the results? (4 Jan 1999)

101. My mother was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. She is taking Glucophage. She has been experiencing loose bowel problems which have caused her to get hemorrhoids. (4 Jan 1999)

102. How do people get diabetes? (3 Jan 1999)

103. I just read an article on diabetes and it predicted that the number of diabetic patients will double by the year 2025. Can you tell me why? (3 Jan 1999)

104. My 8 year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 8 months ago. We are currently reading about glycemic index ratings on food: for example, potatoes are higher than pasta. Do you have any thoughts on the matter? (3 Jan 1999)

105. I am a preschool teacher with a 3 and a half year old girl with Type 1 diabetes in my class. Her blood levels fluctuate between 65-395. Is this fluctuation normal for children? (3 Jan 1999)

106. My dad was recently diagnosed with type 2. I would like to know what types of holiday treats are okay. (3 Jan 1999)

107. What kind of sweets can I fix for a diabetic without putting him in the hosptial? He loves cheesecake. Is there a recipe for it I can fix? (3 Jan 1999)

108. I am trying to find the percentage of people with Type 2 diabetes who have high triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia). (3 Jan 1999)

109. My niece has Addison's disease as well as diabetes. Does the Addisons greatly affect the diabetes or does the diabetes affect the Addisons? (3 Jan 1999)

110. I saw a news article about a home laser device to test for glucose. Does the new technology mean I can do away with the steel lancets? Would you or physicians recommend me buying one? (3 Jan 1999)

111. My nephew has Type 1 diabetes. A friend has told me about a pancreatic transplant that her cousin had. Are these transplants occuring more frequently? (2 Jan 1999)

112. Is it possible for diabetic teenagers (my daughter is 16, Type 1) to spend a year at an American high school? We were just rejected by ASPECT solely on the grounds of diabetes. (2 Jan 1999)

113. I'm 25 year old, female, and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes two months ago. What is the difference between NPH and Regular insulin? (2 Jan 1999)

114. I am looking for information on the care of a diabetic patient. My location is in Kalimantam, Borneo, Indonesia. Medical assistance is very basic and I'm not so sure up to date. (2 Jan 1999)

115. I am the mother of a 13 year old boy who has Type 1 diabetes and am concerned about the Y2K millennium bug. Are there any known glitches in the monitors? (2 Jan 1999)

116. I was wondering if there was such a list of all books or videos for teachers or other caregivers of children with diabetes? (1 Jan 1999)

117. My 16 year old son recently developed a "corn" on his feet. In reading the label warning on a popular liquid corn/callous remover, it specifically says that their product should not be used by diabetics. What would you recommend to treat this? (1 Jan 1999)

118. We have a 6 year old with Type 1. We would like to know if there is a recommended age for kids in America to get on to 4 a shot regimen. (1 Jan 1999)

119. My 9 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 two years ago. He is on a sliding scale of Regular. Sometimes he will go a few days without taking R. How unusual is this? (1 Jan 1999)

120. I have a four year old who has been having blood sugar fluctuations for 2 years now. Just prior to her having these blood sugar problems, she had contacted the Ebstein Barr Virus. Is there a link between the two? (1 Jan 1999)

121. I am a white male, 55 years old, with Type 2 diabetes. After eating, when your glucose level rises, does the rate of descent matter? For example, my glucose level may rise to 160 and plunge to 70 in 1 hour. (1 Jan 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Physicians
Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Nurses
Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Psychologists
Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

Dietitians
James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Researchers
Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts