Question:

From Illinois, USA:

I am a white male, 55 years old, with Type 2 diabetes. After eating, when your glucose level rises, does the rate of descent matter? For example, my glucose level may rise to 160 and plunge to 70 in 1 hour.

Answer:

Generally no, it doesn't unless you do experience any hypo some time later. You should also take into account any oral drug you are taking for treating your diabetes (you don't give us any more info about your specific therapy for your diabetes) that can overstimulate your insulin production as well as, if you are overweight or frank obese, the possibility of post-meal hyperinsulinism that can lead to a sharp decline of blood sugar after eating. A diet approach can be of some help in the latter. You should better discuss about the former with your doctor.