Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

I was wondering if there was such a list of all books or videos for teachers or other caregivers of children with diabetes? My son is 5 years old and has type 1 diabetes and I would like to educate his teachers on this matter. I have gotten a few books and videos but feel that if I can locate a list of every thing that is available I can give it to his teachers so they can learn even more on this matter. Thank you for all of your time and what ever help you can give me in this matter.

Answer:

I don't have a specific set of publications that I use. I kind of pick and choose from tons of sources depending on the situation.

LW

Additional comments from Stephanie Schwartz, diabetes nurse specialist:

AADE has a slide presentation for teachers, and the International Diabetes Center has a video for schools. Lots of the ADA Affiliates and AADE Chapters have manuals for school personnel.

SS

[Editor's comment: In addition to the information within the Diabetes at School section of Children with Diabetes (be sure to see the Information for Teachers and Child-Care Providers), you'll also find lists of books for parents, adults and older kids and a books for younger kids. JSH]

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare