Question:

From the state of Washington, USA:

I am the mother of a 13 year old boy who has Type 1 diabetes and am concerned about the Y2K millennium bug. I understand we should be doubling our prescriptions of insulin, strips, lancets etc. As the Y2K could and most likely will shut down society as we know it, we need to have these supplies on hand to keep our loved ones alive. Also, are there any known glitches in the monitors? As I understand it so far, any date related computerized item is at risk of malfunctioning. I would like to hear from any other diabetics out there who are looking into this problem also.

ovalorie@aol.com

Answer:

Various meter manufacturers have placed Year 2000 compliance statements on their web sites. A summary of these statements can be found within Children with Diabetes at the following URL:

http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/d_06_k00.htm

If your meter or other electronic device is not compliant, you can reset the year to be 1972, which has the same calendar as 2000.

JSH