Question:

From Berlin, Germany:

Is it possible for diabetic teenagers (my daughter is 16, Type 1) to spend a year at an American high school? We were just rejected by ASPECT solely on the grounds of diabetes.

Answer:

I do not know how the US laws against discrimination apply to foreign exchange programs. Regardless of the laws, I would explore with the agency under what terms they would accept your daughter. For instance, it would make sense for her to be in a city with a pediatric endocrinologist nearby and to see that doctor when she arrives. Also it would be helpful to get a letter from her present doctor stating that she is in good control and able to manage on her own in the US (assuming that that is the case). You might even be able to find a host home that has a teenager with diabetes for her to stay at.

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Traveling