From Seattle, Washington, USA:

I saw a news article about a home laser device to test for glucose. My son is 5 years old and has Type 1 Diabetes. Does the new technology mean I can do away with the steel lancets? Would you or physicians recommend me buying one?

I suspect the news article was referring to the Lasette laser lancing device. At present, the only model available is designed for health care professionals and it is priced at US$2,000. Home users can buy the current model. A model designed for home use has been approved by the FDA and is under development.

Updated 23 May 1999