Question:

From America On-Line:

I am trying to find the percentage of people with Type 2 diabetes who have high triglyceride levels (dyslipidemia).

Answer:

I think that it is almost impossible to give precise answer to your question. First of all, it is being increasingly recogised that Type 2 Diabetes is a group of many conditions not one single entity. To add to this there are the factors of duration of diabetes, age of onset, family history bias, and most important of all the great variation there is in the level of control achieved.

On top of all of this, you have to define what you mean by hyperlipididemia: i.e, a high cholesterol or high fasting triglycerides in the blood. To add to the difficulties, especially if you want to go back some years, there is the problem that different laboratories have used different technologies and estabished often widely different standards of what is normal. For what it is worth, our laboratory here uses a cholesterol level of 200mg/dl as the 90% limit of normality. For fasting triglycerides the figure would be 130 mg/dl.