Question:

From Tallahassee, Florida, USA:

My dad was recently diagnosed with type 2 only a few weeks after his 51st birthday. I would like to know what types of holiday treats are okay, specifically the following: eggnog (non-alcoholic), fruit cake, and sweet potato pies.

Answer:

All of the items you mention can be included in a meal plan for a person with diabetes. You need to find out from your father if he is on a meal plan and if so how these foods could be included. If you know the amount of ingredients that went into the foods, you can always figure out how they would count in a meal plan.

Ask your father how he feels about these foods. He may be trying to lose weight and these foods often are hard to limit when they are sitting in front of someone.

Most recipes can be reduced in sugar by 1/3 to 1/2. There are many cookbooks available through the American Diabetes Association and in your local bookstore -- many of these even have the nutrition breakdown of the recipes.

JM

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

If he (and whoever's cooking for him) hasn't talked things over with a dietitian, it'd be a very helpful idea for him to do so!

WWQ