From San Francisco, California, USA:

I am a preschool teacher with a 3 and a half year old girl with Type 1 diabetes in my class. I do her blood test mid-morning (10:30) and after rest (1:30). Her blood levels fluctuate between 65-395. As indicated she gets juice when low and I administer her insulin when high. Is this fluctuation normal for children? Her mother is quite young and has not provided as much info as I would like to have. Also, her diet seems poor (it is not unusual for her to eat honeycombs for breakfast and processed foods in her lunch box). I would also appreciate any resources or recipes to share with her mom.

It can often be very difficult to manage a young child with diabetes. Activity and food intake along with normal growth and food issues often make blood sugars fluctuate. I would suggest that you ask the mother if her diabetes care team would be willing to give you some information. She will need to give you written permission to visit with them about her child, but basic diabetes information should not be a problem. You might want to share your concerns with the mother and try to problem solve together. She is lucky to have a caring person in charge of her child during the day.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

Be sure to look at the recipes here at Children with Diabetes!

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare and Meal Planning, Food and Diet