From Victoria, Australia:

My 8 year son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes 8 months ago. We are currently reading about glycemic index ratings on food: for example, potatoes are higher than pasta. Do you have any thoughts on the matter?

The glycemic index was the result of early studies which paved the way for the carbohydrate counting system, resulting in the feasibility of adding sugar to the meal plan in moderation. The information is helpful in troubleshooting high blood sugars, but as with everything else, it is also dependent on the individual's reaction to individual foods.

I have noticed over the years that some children are more sensitive to sugar than others -- the same way with potatoes and fats. I think the information served a wonderful purpose in that it helped us open our minds to a different way of looking at food. The philosophy of "all things in moderation" seems to serve people with diabetes well -- the definition of moderation may be a bit tricky, though.