Question:

From Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA:

My son is 11 years old and was dianosed with type 1 diabetes a few months ago. I just read an article on diabetes and it predicted that the number of diabetic patients will double by the year 2025. Can you tell me why?

Answer:

I don't know that I can answer your question at all specifically; for one thing, it differs according to the specific form of diabetes. What is certainly true though is that it the last twenty years or so there does seem to have been a steady increase in the incidence of diabetes in all parts of the world. In underdeveloped nations one important factor has certainly been underdiagnosis; but this is not all of the story as surveys of Arctic peoples have shown. This same increase however has been noted in Europe and North America and certainly in the U.S. there is an ongoing study to try to ascertain what the responsible factors are beyond the simple ones of obesity and a general diminution in many; but not all groups of routine physial exertion.