Question:

From Webster, New York, USA:

My mother (age 81) was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes approximately 5 years ago. She is taking medication called Glucophage [a pill for Type 2 diabetes], 850mg 3 times a day, and Glucotrol [another pill for Type 2 diabetes] 10mg once a day. She has been experiencing loose bowel problems which have caused her to get hemorrhoids. She has been to her doctor several times to have them cauterized but they still bleed and cause her pain.

The doctor says he cannot change or reduce her medicine any more and she just has to live with this condition. We are afraid of colon cancer or other future problems caused by this continuing problem. Could you please make any recommendations?

Answer:

Glucophage (metformin) can cause diarrhea, especially in high doses like your mom is on.

It's very unclear to me why your mom's doc said her medications "cannot change or reduce her medicine any more." There are several other diabetes pills, and of course insulin therapy, that could be used to control her blood sugar levels that do not cause diarrhea as a side effect.

My recommendation is that your mom ask her doctor about using Rezulin (troglitazone) , or raising the dose of Glucotrol (glipizide), or adding insulin, as alternatives to the Glucophage.

WWQ

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes