From Cranston, Rhode Island, USA:

My 9 year old Pomeranian was diagnosed with diabetes few months ago. He seems to be doing well, but can you tell me what are the long term effects of insulin? What symptoms should I be looking for?

I am glad that your dog is doing well because in general they get cataracts rather early and the overall long term prognosis is not good though with meticulous care it will no doubt get better and better.

One of the main long term problems is hypoglycemia from too much insulin usually shown up by seizures or absences. If you are getting samples from the ear veins for blood glucose analysis and a have a home blood glucose monitor then you will often get advance warning of hypoglycemia. As in humans, vigorous exercise or night time fasting may promote these events.