Question:

From Palo Alto, California, USA:

I am hoping you can help me. I have a 4 year old daughter whose paternal aunt and great aunt have/had juvenile diabetes (one died from this, the other is dying from this). My in-laws do not believe that the diabetes is hereditary. The dietary sugar intake is very high in that family. Every time I turn around, they are giving my child candy, brownies, cookies, shakes. Is there any medical evidence that I can use to show that large amounts of sugar are bad for a 4 year old with a family history of diabetes?

Answer:

Large amounts of unrefined carbohydrate (sugar) are bad for anybody -- whether or not there's a family history of diabetes -- but there is no evidence to support your proposal that it "causal" in diabetes. Diabetes is partially hereditary and partially environmental. See the pages of Children with Diabetes for more detail.