Question:

From New York, USA:

I have heard very positive things about the pump. My son is 18 and very athletic. Is this a good thing for him to have? Are the pumps dangerous if you play contact sports, such as soccer?

Answer:

Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) is for the individual who has type 1 diabetes, who is able to monitor blood glucose levels and can operate the pump on their own. The individual needs to be willing to check and record blood glucose levels 4 to 5 times a day. They should also have access to and be willing to work closely with a health care professional who is instructed in insulin pump therapy, and who can provide the individual with the necessary educational support and guidance.

Pumping can offer more freedom and flexibility to enjoy a healthier more active lifestyle. In addition, CSII can offer tighter control of blood glucose levels when used in accordance with a health care professional's instructions. Tighter control may help in preventing the complications associated with diabetes.

In regard to the issue of safety when engaging in contact sports, some pumps have a clear plastic case called a Sports Guard that is waterproof, impact resistant and designed to float. This guard can be worn for contact sports such as soccer, skiing and hockey, however, your health care professional may recommend when playing a particular sport, that you disconnect from the pump for a period of time.

Finally and most importantly, your son needs to be a motivated and responsible individual when it comes to taking charge of his diabetes. Remember: there is a range of technical skill involved in addition to self-management capabilities. If you believe he is motivated and responsible for taking charge of his diabetes, then I would tend to think he would be a good candidate for CSII.

PL

Posted to Insulin Pumps