Question:

From Brewster, New York, USA:

I have a 9 year old daughter with Type 1 diabetes. Since her diagnosis, she has become very hostile toward everyone. I don't know what to do anymore. Someone told about camps where there are other kids with diabetes but they are too expensive. Are there any scholarships available for her that I could apply for? If not, what should I do?

Answer:

Diabetes camps help children understand that they are not alone in having this disease. Generally camps have scholarship opportunities for kids with minimal resources. Have you contacted the ADA or JDF to inquire? In my town, there is a fund for just such a purpose... to send kids to diabetes camp who can't get there any other way!

Anger is a part of the adjustment to a chronic disease. Keep a check on blood sugars to insure that the anger is not symptomatic of hypoglycemia.

CMB

Additional comments from Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist:

Linda Mackowiak, diabetes nurse specialist: Camp is a very important opportunity for your child. Contact the nearest American Diabetes Association office. In New York there is scholarship money for camp. A large proportion of kids attending Camp Sunshine (near Rochester, New York), where I help out, receive some financial assistance. The applications usually come out in February, and the deadline for financial aid applications is about a month or so later. They also will make a payment plan if you don't qualify for financial assistance. If you have extenuating circumstances that would not be obvious on your tax forms, make sure you let the staff know, as they will take individual circumstances into consideration.

LM

Additional Comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Maybe a referral to a counselor who works with kids with diabetes would be helpful or a support group for other kids with diabetes. Contact your local ADA Affiliate or JDF Chapter for specifics.

LSF

Updated 22 April 1999
Posted to Behavior and Social Issues: Insurance/Costs