From Jerusalem, Israel:

I was diagnosed with diabetes about 3 months ago at the age of 30. Within a few weeks my glucose levels where under control, just by taking oral pills and a diet. However, recent blood tests revealed a level of 14 for GAD-AB, which means that type 1 diabetes might be developing and I'm just in a honeymoon period. Is there anything that could be done or any available treatment to stop my condition from deteriorating?

From what you say, it seems to me most probable that you have Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes in a fairly early stage. I think you should ask your doctor though for more details of the antibody test. It is usual in North America and most of Europe to test for at least three antibodies including anti-insulin and anti-ICA512. One point of this is that if only one of the three antibodies is positive then it is quite possible to go for many years without becoming clinically diabetic.

Assuming though that you really have early Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes then I have to tell you that there have been many attempts to delay or avert frank clinical diabetes. Indeed trials are still going on in Europe, Canada, and the U.S. of oral and subcutaneous insulin and of nicotinamide.

In these ciircumstances, I think that the optimal plan at the moment is to aim for the best possible control and at least discuss with your doctors the possibility of continuing with small doses of insulin until the honeymoon is over. Later on, you will need to give cosideration to using an insulin pump or some other form of intensive insulin therapy.