Question:

From Canada:

I am 16 years old and my brother has type 1. He was diagnosed at age 27 (fairly late). Two years ago during a routine cholesterol fingerprick at school I was told I have very high cholesterol. Now I have it checked every six months. Today when I went for this blood test I noticed on the requisition that I was also getting my blood sugar checked but this was never told to me. Is there a relationship between high cholesterol in someone my age and diabetes? Also, I had a glass of wine last night at home to celebrate Thanksgiving. Will this affect my sugar test? I have exhibited the symptoms of diabetes from time to time but test always come up "close to normal" (whatever that means). Should I be concerned that the test not be accurate because of the wine?

Answer:

You have a brother with Type 1 Diabetes and the elevated cholesterol did not require treatment so I think that your very smart doctor was wondering whether you might have also have a minor degree of hypothyroidism. This is quite commonly associated especially in your age group with Type 1 Diabetes. The thyroid problem sometimes appears first and it is the commomest form of what is sometimes called the Autoimmune Polyglandular Syndrome. I think your doctor was trying to see if there was any evidence that you had early Type 1 diabetes too, and did'nt want to worry you by doing the more elaborate antibody test. Talk to him about all of this. The number for him to call for details is 1-800-425-8361; he may even be familiar with a study called CANENDIT which is an attempt to delay or avert actual clinical Type 1 Diabetes using a vitamin called nicotinamide in people who have positive antibody test but are otherwise quite normal and dont need insulin.

I hope this explanation was not too elaborate; meantime, don't worry about the wine on Thanksgiving.