My last three 3-month interval HbA1c values were 5.7, 4.9 and 5.3. I eat properly, take all the vitamins and supplements and do 1400 to 1600 Calories of aerobic exercise each day.

I understand that diabetics with excellent blood sugar control and no nutrition problems typically heal as readily as nondiabetics. Are there studies which substantiate this? What do studies show with regard to the problem of slow healing getting worse with age?

Healing is always delayed when the vascular supply is impaired irrespective of the underlying problem and certainly this can be a problem in the later stages of diabetes. The A1c levels that you quote appear excellent although they should be related to the particular laboratory's own normal values. If you can sustain this level of excellent control, you should be well protected from the advance of diabetic complications.