From Canada:

My son is 16 years old. His first hemoglobin A1c test result was 0.084. When I tested him with a glucose meter at home one time, his reading was 5.9 in the evening before dinner and 5.6 the following morning before breakfast. I am diabetic. Is my son diabetic too?

Why did he have a "first HbA1c"? You have expressed the result in an odd way but I assume you mean 8.4%. I would regard this as high but don't know the normal range of the assay that was used. The blood sugar levels that you quote are normal.

Additional comments from Dr. Quick:

The official criteria for diagnosis of diabetes depend on blood sugar levels. Although there is a theoretical rationale for utilizing the results of a glycohemoglobin test to help make the diagnosis, it is generally felt that the blood sugar levels must be documented as elevated to make the diagnosis.