Question:

From Urbandale, Iowa, USA:

My daughter's boyfriend has type 1 diabetes and I need to have more information as to what types of food I should prepare for him and also more about his blood sugar levels -- why at times he drinks Mountain Dew and at other times he drinks Diet Coke -- information like that.

Answer:

There are many ways to follow a treatment regimen. You may see someone drinking regular pop if their blood sugar drops low for some reason -- say after a lot of exercise. If blood sugars are in the normal range or a little high, diet soda will be a good choice. The American Diabetes Association in your area (or any hospital's diabetes nurse educator) will have general information about diabetes that may answer some of your questions. You might want to ask your daughter's boyfriend if you don't think it will cause a problem. Usually people don't mind telling others how they handle diabetes once people know they have it.

JM