Question:

From North Carolina, USA:

I am a 13 year old male with type 1 diabetes. My A1c test is always coming back with a level 8 or higher and I am trying to take care of myself as best I can. Do you have any information on what I can do to improve my situation? I am on R and N insulin as well as Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes].

Answer:

At the age of 13, insulin requirements and food requirements change rapidly due to the rapid growth of puberty. It is important to work closely with your own physician, nutritionist, and nurse to frequently change your insulin as necessary. It is very difficult to obtain normal hemoglobin A1c's at any age, never mind in teenagers (the average HgbA1c in the "intensively" treated teenagers in the DCCT study was 8.) If you feel you aren't getting adequate control on two shots of R and N daily, you might want to consider a more intensive regimen.

I am not sure why you are on Glucophage. It is unusual to be on both an oral medication and insulin at your age. Usually only insulin is used unless you have type 2 diabetes or MODY.

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c and Puberty