Question:

From Oklahoma, USA:

My 3 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at 3 weeks of age. Her blood sugars have been running in the 200-400 range this past week and she has been running into things. She now has 2 big bumps on her forehead from it. Should I get her eyes checked, and how often should I get her eyes checked?

Answer:

I doubt the bumps on your daughter's forehead are related to her diabetes unless she fell during a low blood sugar.

It would be very rare to have any eye complications before puberty, but it would be a good time to get a baseline eye exam now and then every 1 to 2 years until puberty when she should be examined more frequently.

Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to Top

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.