From California, USA:

My daughter is 20 months old and was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes one month ago. She has developed a fear of needles and it has become very difficult to give her insulin injections once she sees the needle. I am wondering about the various injection devices like the insulin pen or "jet" injectors. She gets two injections a day and they are mixed Humalog and NPH. Are these devices recommended for her age? Which is the best?

I send my best wishes to you, as this is a very stressful time. Hang in there, as your child will become more cooperative with time.

At her age, I would suggest drawing up the insulin out of her sight, and make the process as quick as possible. Go to her with the already loaded insulin syringe. Tell her briefly, firmly, and lovingly, that it is time for her insulin, and give her the insulin quickly. Some parents, if by themselves, would use the buttocks for the injection site, while she is lying face down over your lap.

Ask your diabetes provider to show you the Inject-Ease device. It is like a lancet device for the shot. You place the syringe with insulin in it. It will cover the needle and you push a button to have the needle go in. You can not use the short needle syringes with this device. You still have to draw up the insulin, and also push in the plunger.

All parents of young children with diabetes can tell you about chasing the child all over the house for the shot. They will also tell you that it gets better. Ask your diabetes care provider if you can speak with other families in your areas who have young children with diabetes, or whose children were young when they were diagnosed. I think you'll feel much better. Also use the resources here at Children with Diabetes for support.

[Editor's comment: The chat rooms are a good place to speak with other parents about caring for children with diabetes. JSH]