Question:

From Colorado, USA:

I am looking for research data on simultaneous pancreas-kidney transplant for a juvenile diabetic with renal failure. I have had diabetes for over 30 years (onset in my latter teens). Have been in renal failure for over two years and on the transplant list in Denver, Colorado for over a year. I am having trouble with one of my insurance companies with the pancreas part of my transplant. My doctor and I are looking for positive research information to use for a letter to counter this.

Answer:

Without knowing a good deal more about the intricacies of why your Insurance company is unwilling to pay for the additional cost of a pancreas as well as a kidney transplant, I don't think that I can help very much. Certainly the transplant group at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center have had plenty of experience in this double procedure. My suggestion would be to first of all for you to get in touch with the Medical Social Worker for the group and also to have your doctor make certain that the objections are not based on any medical hesitations. If the team are fully supportive of the double transplant then they are by far the best ones to convince the insurance company of their responsibility to pay for it and indeed of the cost-benefit advantages of doing so.

If you and your doctor are anxious to evaluate the procedure independent of the transplant team, then you might be interested to explore the subject in PubMed. Use as a search term 'Renal and pancreas transplants in diabetes'.

Posted to Research: Cure