Question:

From Virginia, USA:

What important role does diabetes play in the environment and how can it affect a descendant of the disease?

Answer:

I had a little difficulty understanding your question; but I am assuming that what you are interested in, is whether there are any environmental factors which might increase the likelihood of someone with a family history getting diabetes themselves, apart of course from issues of diet and excercise. This has been the subject of a good deal of research in relation to Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes. There are two big studies underway on this theme, one in the U.S. and the other in Germany. So far there have been no very obvious pointers though the issue of early exposure to certain forms of cow's milk is still being considered.