Question:

From Houston, Texas, USA:

I am 12 years old. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. I count carbohydrates. Is counting carbohydrates a good meal plan to stick to? Each choice is 15 grams. I have 4 choices for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, 2 for an afternoon snack, and 1 for a bedtime snack.

Answer:

I think carbohydrate counting is a very good meal planning system. It sounds like you had a dietitian to work with who helped you develop a meal plan. I always tell the children I work with to let me know if the plan is not meeting their needs and we can change it anytime. It just needs to meet the insulin regimen you are on and most importantly, it needs to meet your needs to keep on growing normally.

Keep up the good work!

JM