From Springfield, Tennessee, USA:

I am 30 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 9 years. In the last 2 1/2 years I have gained almost 60 pounds and can't lose it. Can you recommend a diet? I am desperate!

I would highly recommend you see your health care team and make sure you have a time set up to work with a dietitian about your concerns. I am sure a meal plan can be worked out with you to help you maintain an reasonable weight loss. I hope you have success in your endeavor. Unfortunately many of the diets you hear about give quick results but they may be at the expense of other health issues.

Additional Comment by Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Besides following a meal plan designed for weight loss, one of the most important things to do is to increase your activity. It need not be a huge exercise program, just gradually increase your activity level, as with walking. It will take a while to get the weight off, so please be patient.

Additional comment added 21 Jan 1999