Question:

From Indiana, USA:

I am 18 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 13 years. I have recently been diagnosed with "fatty liver disease" and am experiencing major swelling of the abdomen. I normally weigh 105, but recently I have gained 20 pounds. What can be done (besides better control)? Any tips on my diet?

Answer:

"Fatty liver disease" isn't part of diabetes unless you've not been taking your insulin. Have you been told the cause and what is your liver function like? You need specific advice from a dietitian about any special diet. You may also be on drugs which make blood sugar control more difficult, for example, steroids. Speak to your doctors about how to improve your control.