From Maine, USA:

My wife is 32 years old and 7 months pregnant with our first child (boy). She was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. We were wondering if this will make our child susceptible to obesity later in life.

This is an interesting question to which nobody knows the answer. A great deal of work has been done on relationships between birthweight and future health problems including high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity (most notably by Barker and Hales). However, I am unaware of any evidence to suggest that your child will be at a higher risk of obesity than anybody else.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes