Question:

From Maine, USA:

My wife is 32 years old and 7 months pregnant with our first child (boy). She was just diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. We were wondering if this will make our child susceptible to obesity later in life.

Answer:

This is an interesting question to which nobody knows the answer. A great deal of work has been done on relationships between birthweight and future health problems including high blood pressure, diabetes and obesity (most notably by Barker and Hales). However, I am unaware of any evidence to suggest that your child will be at a higher risk of obesity than anybody else.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes