Question:

From Sun City West, Arizona, USA:

I was recently diagnosed with diabetes. I am a senior citizen. What is the normal range when monitoring the blood? I am on Glyburide [a sulfonylurea pill for Type 2 diabetes] 5 mg daily. I do not feel well at all.

Answer:

Recently, the UKPDS study (The United Kingdom Prospective Diabetes Study) has concluded, after 20 years of followup of newly diagnosed type 2 patients, that long term metabolic control, as judged by HbA1c levels, and blood pressure control, both matter in term of prevention of long term diabetes complications.

The DCCT has already reached the same conclusions for type 1 diabetic patients some 5 years ago. Therefore, I advise you not only to monitor your blood sugar, trying to keep it below 120mg/dl, but also to verify regularly your metabolic control over the long term with HbA1c levels and blood lipid evaluations several times a year.