From New Jersey, USA:

My 2 year old son was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes last week. Everything has been overwhelming, but I'm especially having a hard time with his diet. I've been given sample diets while he was in the hospital, but they were more geared for adults and teenagers. Please give me some input, and possibly some sample diets for my toddler.

I do not have sample diets, but would suggest you speak with your diabetes team and obtain a referral to a dietitian who deals with children with diabetes. I am sorry, but feel you do need to speak to someone who can look at his present eating pattern and height, weight and activity level to give some specific guidelines.

Additional comments from The Editor:

Keeping a two-year-old child on a meal plan is very challenging. As the parent of a child who was diagnosed at 24 months of age, my recommendation is to learn carbohydrate counting so that you can cover the food eaten with an appropriate amount of insulin. Humalog can be injected after eating, which makes managing diabetes in toddlers much easier than the old "inject and pray they eat" method. Explore this with your son's diabetes team.