From New Jersey, USA:

I recently found out that my 3 year old daughter, who is a fraternal twin, has type 1 diabetes. What I would like to know is about the carbohydrate diet. I was told to just look at the carbohydrates not the sugar content because that is suppose to be already included in the carbohydrate. Is this true? Example: I bought 2 kinds of bagel chips, carbohydrates where the same but the sugar amount was different. Is this the best diet to follow for a 3 year old? How long has milk been a carbohydrate? A friend of mine who has a diabetic child thought it was considered to be fat.

Yes, we do feel that looking at total carbohydrates, not just the amount of sugar is what is important to consider for good control, so do read the labels and look at grams of carbohydrate.

Milk is considered a carbohydrate, even though it does not taste sweet at all. One cup (8 oz) of milk, whether it be whole, 2% or skim, has about 12 grams of carbohydrate. 12-15 grams of carbohydrate is usually considered 1 carb unit. The only difference in the milks is the amount of fat (whole has the equivalent of 2 tsp of fat, 2% has the equivalent of 1 tsp of fat and skim has none.