Question:

From Surrey, England:

My partner has Type 1 diabetes. In England children are only tested if the doctor finds it necessary to do so (if they are ill). What is the possibility of one or both of my children becoming diabetic in the future, and is there yet anyway I can help prevent it from occurring?

Answer:

Assuming that your partner does indeed have Type 1A or autoimmune diabetes, the chances of any one of your children becoming affected is about 6%. At the moment there is no way to prevent the inheritance of genetic susceptibility; but it is reasonably hopeful that it may soon be possible both to prevent the change from prediabetes to clinical diabetes in affected offspring and perhaps also to avoid the so far unidentified environmental factors that trigger the abnormal immune response.