From Middletown, New York, USA:

My son is 14 years old and has had diabetes for 10 months. He enjoyed all diet drinks containing aspartame. Recently, I have been reading articles about aspartame which are not favorable. What are our alternatives?

Aspartame has been around as an approved sweetener since 1974 and seems to have no side effects. It is a synthetic substance and contains 4 calories/gm, but because it is 180-200 times sweeter than sugar, it provides very few calories. It does contains phenylalanine which is contraindicated for a few people, and aspartame is not heat-stable. If kept for extended periods of time at high temperatures, it can break down into methanol, which can cause some adverse reactions.