Question:

From Web TV:

I am being treated for my type 2 diabetes with Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes] and I was wondering if taking that has anything to do with my bloodwork results. My doctor told me that I tested positive for protein in my urine, which is caused by my kidneys. She told me that if I test positive again in 3 months I will have to go on medicine for that also. Is all of this common? I'm only 27 and just found out that I had diabetes less than a year ago.

Answer:

Metformin (Glucophage) has no deleterious effect towards kidneys. The problem with this drug, rather, is when you are already suffering from established renal problems, in which case metformin is not advisable because of an increased potential for a rare but serious side-effect called lactic acidosis.

Diabetic nephropathy, diagnosed by excessive amounts of microalbumin, is generally treated with ACE-inhibitor medications and with the reduction of protein in the diet.

In your case, with a history of only 1 year of diabetes at 27 years of age, I'd be rather skeptical that your proteinuria is due to diabetes. Is your blood pressure fine? Have you seen a nephrologist? Ask your doctor for a consultation.

Posted to Medications: Pills for Diabetes and Complications