From Illinois, USA:

My son will be going back to the Children's Hospital soon for another round of chemo. I need to talk with other parents with children that have cancer to see how they deal with meals and insulin!

If during chemo you have problems with lows, then regarding meals and insulin, I have found it best to use doses of longer acting insulin (NPH,Lente, or Ultralente) in a smaller dose than usual, about 1/2-2/3 of the dose, then monitor blood glucose and ketones very closely, and give extra short-acting (Regular or Humalog) as needed based on blood sugar and food intake. This needs to be done with your doctor: do not make any changes on your own.

Sometimes you can have problems with highs, then you'll need to be using extra insulin. If your son needs to take steroids, then the insulin requirements can go up dramatically.