Question:

From Japan:

My daughter was recently diagnosed. I have hundreds of questions, but Japanese doctors don't educate parents of patients like American doctors do. I have 2 questions that I would really like answered at this time:

1. My daughter is 8 years old. I also have a son who is 5. Neither my wife or I are diabetic. What are the chances of my son developing the disease?

2. My daughter is so thin. What can we do to put some weight on her bones?

Answer:

In arithmetic terms, your son has around a 6% chance of developing diabetes or, put another way, a 94% chance of not developing diabetes. You could get more information on this risk by having him tested for diabetes antibodies (antibodies to the cells in the pancreas that make insulin). However, since you can do nothing to influence the outcome I would recommend against such testing.

Your daughter is thin because she has been developing diabetes and has broken down body stores as fuel before the diagnosis. If you treat her with adequate insulin replacement and a diet calculated by a paediatric dietitian to provide for her growth then she will regain her intended weight very rapidly -- in a matter of a month or two.

Posted to Genetics and Heredity