From Tehachapi, California, USA:

A friend of ours has an eleven year old boy with diabetes. His blood sugar often goes unmonitored, and he has been demonstrating strange, sometimes criminal behavior, nothing violent. He was recently arrested for stealing checks from his father and forging them. Could his diabetes be affecting his behavior?

I am concerned that there is not any reliable blood sugar monitoring in this boy's life. That is my first thought.

The acting out behavior of stealing and doing socially unacceptable things is not likely connected to having diabetes. However, he may be angry, very angry, about something. It could be his diabetes, it could be any number of other things in his life. Anger can indeed motivate the type of activity you are describing.

In any event, psychological intervention is in order. I strongly urge counseling to get at the root of his behavior. I have seen eleven year olds with severe psychological disturbances that have nothing at all to do with a diagnosis of diabetes.

Posted to Behavior